There's something so warm & cozy about the 2000s fall/halloween aesthetic & maybe I just think that because I was a kid at that time so I am partial to it but I do feel there was a deliberate & intentional look to it. I just want to take a moment to appreciate it.
I grew up in a very religious household so we didn't do halloween, I could watch halloween movies & have halloween treats but there was no dressing up or trick or treating, I think I dressed up once lol & I always credit my love of halloween to my lack of it at home as a kid. I am religious now but I'm a believer that the devil doesn't get to have a day, "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." So my memories of Halloween decor come from shows, movies, stores, & school. School is a big one because my elementary school really knocked it out of the park, I often think of the low lighting in aftercare, the string lights in the library, the little paper pumpkins, cobwebs, decorated doors, the halloween pretzels in the shapes of bats, ugh what I would give to sneak off & wander during aftercare again or to be huddled around the TV cart with my sister watching a movie & waiting for mom to pick us up.
I've created a little fall moodboard here & it's just things that incite that cozy, halloween feel. Honorable mention for the window clings! I loovveed the gel window clings - we had Christmas ones & they always smelled like a mix of plastic & our attic, which was kinda gross but in a good way. I also love this very classic halloween color scheme of orange, purple, green, & black! Hot take, I don't think the pink, rainbow, disco ball halloween decorations we see these days give a festive feel at all, they may as well be year round decorations. I want to say that I don't wanna yuck anyone's yum & you should like whatever aesthetic brings you the most joy but I don't think you're supposed to say those things after a hot take.
- Reading spooky books from my childhood like Scary Stories to tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz, Bunnicula by Deborah & James Howe, & any Goosebumps books
- Watching nostalgic movies & shows like Halloweentown, Goosebumps, Scary Godmother, Paranorman, Hocus Pocus, & Scooby Doo
- Trying to use my phone as little as possible! I want to be present & enjoy the little things like slowing down & lighting a candle, looking at falling leaves, & turning on all my little light up decorations.
- Creating nostalgic fall moodboards
- Thrifting for fall decor (I feel like a lot of nostalgic finds are there)
Man... I really don't remember the last time I was even excited for Halloween. Maybe when I dressed as Hannah Montana in the 2010's. Your pictures just gave me a slap of nostalgia I haven't felt in so long; I miss the old Disney channel and the Halloweentown/Monstober ads. I miss this feeling and I know it's up to us to feel it again. I don't know, maybe I'll go trick or treating with my friends at the mall this year, because in Puerto Rico nobody really goes through the neighborhoods anymore.
ReplyDeleteYeesssss, I found a playlist on YouTube that includes the Monstober ads but the episodes in between are not from my childhood so I didn't watch it lol. But just the aesthetic of Monstober was so festive & I miss it as well! I think trick or treating is such a cute idea!
Delete