Happy Birthday to me! I'm 27 today & so grateful that God has blessed me with another year!
Every now & then I get kinda sad about getting older but not because I'm not young anymore or because I'm starting to gray (my mom started graying in high school & I also did but I have waayyyy more now lol), it's more of a bittersweet sadness. It's knowing that this life goes by so quickly, I feel like I was just 18 & sneaking out of my parent's house (yes I was sneaking out as an "adult", I have/had very strict parents lol, I didn't get any freedom until I moved out of their house) but now I'm 27, living all the way across the country, I can go anywhere I want & do anything I want. It's weird. It's knowing that my sister & I will probably never live in the same house together again, it's knowing my parents are getting older & one day I won't have them, it's knowing that I have to start thinking about a more serious career path, it's knowing one day I'll have to cook my own Thanksgiving dinner, it's looking back at how much things can change (even in just a few years).
But, there's also so much sweetness in nearing your 30s. People online like to say "pushing 30" like it's something derogatory but it's not!
In my late 20s I learned that no one has it together, even my more "put together" friends are just doing their best! I learned not to wallow in self pity, life is truly so beautiful & full of blessings, why should we sit here and be sad about our misfortunes when God has always pulled through? I've learned that it's okay not to know things, in a world where everyone shouts into the void & pretends to be an expert on everything be vulnerable enough to admit you don't know certain things, change your opinion, be genuinely open to learning & listening to people talk who think differently from you, don't lock yourself in an echo chamber!I've learned that the cure for everything, the way you get through this life is with Christ & nothing can compare to Him! No amount of any vice will bring you the comfort that Jesus does! He's walked me through grief, insecurity, addiction, He's delivered me from suicidal thoughts & depression & self harm. I've been through things I thought would have broken me just a few years ago but with Jesus in my life now, the suffering is bearable, I don't have to do it alone. Jesus really is the answer! I've learned that friendship comes at a price, give your friends grace! As women I think we struggle with this, when your friends hurt your feelings or offend you remember they're people too! We're all capable of being a little insensitive or accidentally hurting one another & grace is a beautiful gift! I've learned to hold my tongue, I've always been someone who comes out super hot when I'm upset but this is a mistake. Let yourself sit with your emotions for a day or 2 before spewing them onto people, don't say things in the heat of the moment! I've learned that contrary to what the internet says, my life is just beginning!My fellow late 20 year olds, enjoy this time! We're at a weird in between point, not quite a kid & not quite a qualified adult. Dance, laugh, learn to love yourself, chase God with everything you've got & keep running back to Him, try new things, be cringe & free!!! And remember, if you're hanging on by a thread let it be the hem of His garment!
No comments:
Post a Comment